The Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for RPF/RPSF (PMSS) is a scholarship program launched in 2008-09 to encourage higher technical and professional education for the dependent wards of ex/serving RPF/RPSF personnel and widows (below the rank of gazetted officer). It’s funded by the National Defence Fund and administered by the Ministry of Railways.
- Wards and widows of ex/serving RPF/RPSF personnel (below the rank of gazetted officer)
- Pursuing technical or professional courses like Engineering, Medicine, Law, Management, etc.
- Should have secured admission to a recognized institute through a national level entrance exam
- Annual family income from all sources should not exceed Rs. 5 lakh
- Financial assistance of Rs. 3,000 per month for girls and Rs. 2,500 per month for boys
- Scholarship is payable for the entire duration of the course, or up to a maximum of 5 years, whichever is earlier
- Applications are invited online through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) between October and November each year.
- You can check the latest guidelines and apply on the official NSP website: https://scholarships.gov.in/
- Applications are shortlisted based on merit in the qualifying entrance exam.
- Shortlisted candidates are interviewed by a selection committee.
- Final selection is based on a combination of merit and interview performance.
Here are some additional points to remember:
- Only two wards per family are eligible for the scholarship.
- Distance learning courses are not permitted under the scheme.
- The scholarship is not available for students studying abroad.